Crunchyroll has announced One Piece [Franky] & JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure [Dio Brando] voice actor Patrick Seitz as a featured guest in their upcoming Virtual Crunchyroll Expo 2020 (V-CRX).
Voice actor/director Patrick Seitz, who many gaming fans will recognize as the voice of Scorpion in Mortal Kombat X and Fenrich in Disgaea 4 is officially confirmed for V-CRX this September 4-6, 2020! Virtual Crunchy Roll Expo 2020 (V-CRX) promises to bring the traditional convention experience home to anime fans similar to the recent FunimationCon 2020.
That means the classical convention experience fully loaded with panel discussions (Noblesse), exclusive premieres (“GIBIATE” Episode 9), and an exclusive virtual tour of the Studio MAPPA art gallery. You can register for completely free ‘admission over at this link.
The Natural Aristocrat® interviewed Patrick Seitz and fellow One Piece voice actor Colleen Clinkenbeard [Luffy] at last year’s New York Comic Con on film, One Piece: Stampede. Check out the in-depth interview, including the craziest things fans have asked them to sign over the years below.
Other announcements for Virtual Crunchyroll Expo 2020
– V-CRX attendees will have the chance to hear from the individuals behind Crunchyroll Originals including Masahiko Komino, the director and character designer of “GIBIATE” (also the animator for “JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure”); Soma Saito, the voice actor (previously Tadashi Yamaguchi in “Haikyu!!); and Yoshikatsu Kimura, the director, (previously directed “Karate Girl”) of “EX-ARM”; and Jeho Son, the writer, and Kwangsu Lee, the artist for “Noblesse.”
– The next wave of guests, panels, and programming for this year’s Virtual Crunchyroll Expo has arrived to include a panel with Yongje Park, creator of “The God of High School”, discussions featuring the creative talent behind the upcoming Crunchyroll Original series “Noblesse,” an exclusive virtual tour of the Studio MAPPA art gallery, and the world premiere of “GIBIATE” episode 9.
– The V-CRX Gallery Tour Featuring Studio MAPPA will include behind-the-scenes artwork from popular series including “The God of High School” and will also include video messages from artists and creators.
– V-CRX also announced Arthell Isom, CEO of D’ART Shtajio and Roland Kelts, author of “JAPANAMERICA,” for a discussion on race in anime, voice actor Patrick Saitz, (Franky in “One Piece,” Germany in the Hetalia Series, and Dio Brando in “JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure”) and Tsukara Kiryu, the light novel illustrator of “So I’m a Spider, So What?” who will be joining the previously announced author of the light novel Okina Baba.
– Crunchyroll announced two remaining judges, Rock M. Sakura (@RockMSakura) & Kamui Cosplay (@KamuiCosplay), for Crunchyroll-Hime’s Cosplay Cup, which will be a celebration of fan-created costumes from anime and anime-inspired series. The Cosplay Cup will take place Saturday, September 5.
Be sure to check out The Natural Aristocrat®’s Anime Articles section for the latest industry news, interviews, previews, reviews, and general coverage!
Need to discover where your favorite Dubbed Anime show is steaming on? No worries! Check out The Natural Aristocrat®’s Anime Dub Master List: VRV vs Funimation vs Hulu vs Crunchyroll vs HIDIVE vs Netflix vs Amazon Prime vs HBO Max for a USA based, Dub comparison between the streaming platforms!
Watch an exclusive V-CRX interview with Shenmue creator Yu Suzuki on the upcoming Shenmue anime adaption in the works by Crunchyroll & Adult Swim.
Shenmue creator Yu Suzuki discussed the key themes that fans will see in the upcoming Shenmue -The Animation- 13-episode anime series at V-CRX 2020. Suzuki commented that he believes the general themes in Shenmue are universal & ‘understood around the world. Focusing on love, courage, friendship, and family.’ He hopes to bring ‘the spirit of Japan and express the culture at the same time’ with the series. The famed SEGA developer is serving as Executive Producer on Shenmue’s anime series.
Yu Suzuki feels that the older & most hardcore Shenmue fans that have followed Ryo Hazuki’s journey for 15-20 years will embrace the Anime series warmly. After all, Shenmue’s loyal legion of fans have maintained their fandom even in the years where it looked like the series wouldn’t return, hampered by the label of being one of the most expensive video games ever produced. Yet, two remasters and a sequel (including a Limited Run Games Dreamcast case) later, Shenmue is now seeing a resurgence in popularity. Thus, Suzuki feels part of being a fan for that long of the series, is ‘accepting everything Shenmue.’
Shenmue’s anime director Chikara Sakurai, joked that he was ‘too poor to buy the game when it came out. But he wanted to learn as much about it as he could for free.’ Chikara Sakurai described the surreal feeling of finally getting to play Shenmue years later, ‘It’s hard to describe… It gave me this strange feeling. It’s like I can finally do something I couldn’t do then.’ The director went on to comment that it was important to him to restrain himself from taking creative liberties with Shenmue and preserve the game’s integrity.
Shenmue -The Animation- (Anime Adaption) Synopsis:
Shenmue – the Animation – Photo provided by Crunchyroll
Shenmue is an anime series with 13 episodes, following the journey of Ryo Hazuki. After he witnesses his father’s murder at the family dojo, Ryo dedicates his life to finding the man responsible – a mission that takes him from the streets of Yokosuka, Japan to the sprawling metropolis of Hong Kong, and beyond.
Soon he’ll learn that larger, mystical forces are at play as he trains to become the ultimate martial artist in his quest for revenge.
Be sure to read Shenmue Anime announced by Crunchyroll, Adult Swim at V-CRX 2020!
Follow all of The Natural Aristocrat®’s V-CRX coverage at the Virtual Crunchyroll Expo 2020 section.
Crunchyroll and Adult Swim announced a partnership at V-CRX for an Anime adaption of the Sega Dreamcast’s iconic Shenmue. That means Ryo Hazuki is arriving on Toonami folks!
The remasters of the original Dreamcast titles and Shenmue 3 were clearly just the beginning, Yu Suzuki’s magnum opus Shenmue is getting the Anime treatment with 13 episodes! Suzuki will serve as Executive Producer for the series. SEGA was always ahead of its time, so it’s of no surprise the series would see a popularity surge more than 20 years after the original title’s release.
Shenmue -the Animation- as it’s being referenced in promo material will stream worldwide on Crunchyroll (excluding Japan and mainland China) and air on Toonami over in the United States. That means Shenmue will also have a home over on VRV Premium’s Crunchyroll channel, VRV subscribers!
Sakurai Chikara, known for his work on One Punch Man and Naruto will direct the series with animation being produced by Telecom Animation Film and production management by Sola Entertainment. Crunchyroll has already announced that additional information regarding Shenmue -the Animation- will be available on Saturday’s Virtual Industry Panel at 12:00 pm – 12:45 pm PT at ‘HIME Stage’.
If you miss it live you can catch it on VOD at this link depending on your region. Crunchyroll and Adult Swim’s official V-CRX announcement with select quotes from Crunchyroll Head of Development Sarah Victor & Jason DeMarco (Adult Swim SVP /Creative Director on-air) is available below.
Shenmue – the Animation – Photo provided by Crunchyroll
Crunchyroll and Adult Swim Announce Production of New Original Anime Series Shenmue
September 5, 2020 – At Virtual Crunchyroll Expo, the first-ever digital edition of Crunchyroll’s yearly flagship anime convention, Crunchyroll announced that it will partner again with Adult Swim on the production of Shenmue, an original anime series based on the beloved SEGA game franchise. This latest Crunchyroll and Adult Swim Production will stream worldwide outside of Japan and mainland China on Crunchyroll and air on Adult Swim’s Toonami in the domestic United States.
“The first Shenmue video game was released more than twenty years ago and we’re so excited to be working again with Adult Swim to bring this franchise to life through anime,” said Sarah Victor, head of development, Crunchyroll. “We’re eager to show our fans more of this action-packed adventure series as we move through production.”
Shenmue is an anime series with 13 episodes, following the journey of Ryo Hazuki. After he witnesses his father’s murder at the family dojo, Ryo dedicates his life to finding the man responsible – a mission that takes him from the streets of Yokosuka, Japan to the sprawling metropolis of Hong Kong, and beyond. Soon he’ll learn that larger, mystical forces are at play as he trains to become the ultimate martial artist in his quest for revenge.
“The world of Shenmue is fascinating and unique, and we are so excited to partner with Yu Suzuki to bring his epic creation to anime- and make a kick-ass martial arts epic!” said Jason DeMarco, svp/creative director on-air for Adult Swim.
Shenmue, a Crunchyroll and Adult Swim Production, is being directed by Sakurai Chikara (season two of One Punch Man, Naruto) with animation production by Telecom Animation Film, and production management provided by Sola Entertainment. Video game creator Yu Suzuki is also onboard as an Executive Producer. Additional Crunchyroll and Adult Swim Productions include the recently-announced Fena: Pirate Princess and BLADE RUNNER – BLACK LOTUS.
Fans eager to re-watch the announcement can register for a free Virtual Crunchyroll Expo badge now at crunchyrollexpo.com and stream the Crunchyroll Industry Panel in the V-CRX On-Demand section.
Be sure to read:
Looking for what Anime streaming service has your favorite series dubbed? No worries! Check out The Natural Aristocrat®’s VRV vs Funimation vs Hulu vs Crunchyroll vs HIDIVE vs Netflix vs Amazon Prime vs HBO Max: Anime Dub Master List for a table comparison! The list is always being updated for accuracy and additional titles.
Minori Chihara, Final Fantasy Type-0’s Japanese voice actress for Cater and Violet Evergarden’s Erica Brown will be a featured guest at Virtual Crunchyroll Expo 2020 (V-CRX).
Final Fantasy Type-0 voice actress Minori Chihara will be appearing at Virtual Crunchyroll Expo 2020 on Saturday, September 5th for a Digital Meet & Greet and again on Sunday, September 6 for a panel hosted by Crunchyroll’s Cameron Trentalange.
Chihara will be discussing her career on Sunday from 3:15 – 4:15 p.m. PT (6:15 – 7:15 p.m. ET) on the main ‘Crunchyroll Stage’, should you miss it live, the stream will be available on VOD at this link. Chihara is expected to discuss The Melancholy of Haruhi-chan Suzumiya and Violet Evergarden. It’s likely she’ll also talk about voicing Camie Utsushimi on My Hero Academia’s videogame My Hero One’s Justice 2 and potentially Cater in Dissidia Final Fantasy.
Minori Chihara’s Digital Meet and Greet event will be taking place on Saturday at 7:00 – 8:30 p.m. PT (10:00 p.m. – 11:30 pm ET) in Crunchyroll’s ‘Theatre District’.
Details are available below, (although the time to enter a drawing for the Meet & Greet are past). You can find what the drawing’s complete official rules were at this official Crunchyroll PDF link.
3. PRIZES: Thirty-five (35) winners will each be awarded the ability to purchase one (1) approximately two-minute virtual meet and greet with Minori Chihara to be held through the Event platform (or as otherwise determined by Sponsor) on Saturday, 9/5/2020 at 7pm PT (the “Prize”) (the total estimated retail value of each Prize is US $50.00).
Limit one Prize per Participant/household. NOTE: Prizes do not include the virtual meet and greet itself; the Prize allows the winner to purchase the virtual meet and greet at a specific guaranteed time. Each winner shall only be allowed to purchase one virtual meet and greet. Winning this Sweepstakes does not guarantee any specific Prize to any winner.
4. WINNER SELECTION: A total of one hundred twenty (120) winner(s) will be selected by Sponsor in a random drawing occurring on or about Monday, August 31st, 2020 from all eligible entries received in the Sweepstakes Period prior to the drawing date. The drawing will be conducted by Sponsor, whose decisions are final and binding on all matters relating to this Sweepstakes. Winners need not be present to win. Odds of winning are dependent upon the total number of eligible entries received. Sponsor will attempt to notify the potential winners by email on or around the same date as the drawing.
The potential winners will have until Wednesday, September 2nd, 2020 at 11:59PM, to claim their Prize as noted by Sponsor in the Prize notification. After claiming the Prize, each potential winner will receive instructions on redeeming their Prize. Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to not select a winner(s) if an insufficient number of eligible, complete, appropriate or generally qualified entries are received.
Be sure to check out:
Need information on what Anime streaming service has you favorite series available Dubbed? Take a look at VRV vs Funimation vs Hulu vs Crunchyroll vs HIDIVE vs Netflix vs Amazon Prime vs HBO Max: Anime Dub Master List for a comparison table. The dub list is always being update for accuracy and new titles.